Monday, January 23, 2017

The birth and adoption story of baby Charlie

I've been really excited to write down and share the birth and adoption story of our new baby son. It's long, I apologize, but it was such a beautiful experience and I just can't leave out good details!   We have a son. A perfectly healthy and beautiful son with a head full of shiny brown hair and sparkling gray/blue eyes. He is sound asleep on me right now, all wrapped up in a baby wrap pressed up against my chest, making cute little noises with each breath. My heart melts a little more each time I feel his little lungs rise with air. My nose is constantly pressed up against his head so I can smell him and kiss him. I can't believe I'm his mom and Wes is his dad. We are literally overwhelmed with so many emotions and so much awe.  

We got to Florida monday the 9th in the afternoon and took birthmom to dinner. {We are staying pretty private about the birth family to respect them and also to respect Charlie's history. It's knowledge for him to cherish, and not for everyone to know all about). I spent most of the day Tuesday and Wednesday with birthmom. We had such a special time and really bonded even more. The love and respect that I have for her is indescribable. She is my hero. I only hope that one day I can be as selfless as she is. 
The hands of two mothers: Birthmom and me
The days before our son's birth were unforgettable. The emotions that we were feeling were all over the place. Mostly excitement, a lot of disbelief, on and off worry. It was so hard to sleep. We were nervous for birthmom because we knew she was nervous. I wished that I could go thru the csection for her, I didn't want her to go thru any pain. Thursday the 12th was the big day. We met everyone at the hospital at 9am and got registered and went up to the pre-op/recovery room where she got ready. I actually went in with her, but Wes stayed in the waiting area. Her mom was there with her too, and we sat on the bed and watched the baby kick around in her belly. This was actually the first time I got to see and feel him kick. They hooked her up to the monitor and we could hear his heart beating. I was fighting back tears the whole time. Birthmom was doing so great and was really ready. I knew she was scared, but she was ready and she was so upbeat. I was amazed by her strength. Nurses came in and asked who was going to do the first feeding after he was born, and birthmom said she wanted me and Wes to do it. I started crying. I gave the nurse my cell phone to get pictures and they wheeled birthmom out for the csection. I went out to the waiting room to sit with Wes.
In the waiting room waiting for baby to be born

We got a text from the nurse that read "we are about to meet your son", followed by a picture of him about 20 minutes later. I can't even describe our emotions. We hurried back into the recovery room knowing that we would meet him there and give him his first bottle. Walking down the hall I started crying uncontrollably from the anticipation. I remember all of this so clearly. His birth grandmother was holding him in the room smiling at us. I was crying so hard I could barely see. She handed him to me and I cradled him in my arms and Wes was over my shoulder holding me. He was smiling in awe, and I was just weeping uncontrollably. I don't know when I stopped crying, but we held him for a long time. I had to ask someone to wipe my eyes for me with kleenex because I couldn't see from all the tears. I'm not sure if it was the birth grandmother or the nurse who dabbed my eyes but I was so thankful someone did.
Our son Charles "Charlie" Thomas Sorrill was born January 12th, 2017 at 12:24pm weighing 7lbs 1oz and 19-3/4" long. Wes and I took turns holding him. Watching Wes hold him and smile with love and pride was better than I imagined it would be. I had waited for so long to see him hold our child and I felt like my heart was going to explode. My favorite moment was when I wrapped my arms around Wes and Charlie and I whispered "we are a family of three now", and Wes started sobbing too. I had my face buried between his chest and the baby and I could feel his cries. It was so beautiful. 
We are a family of three now
We got to feed him which was really fun! We had no idea what we were doing and burping him was hard because we just aren't used to handling tiny floppy newborns. We stayed in that room with him for a few hours. Birthmom got wheeled back in and was really tired from the anesthesia. We eventually got moved up to a post partum room where we all stayed together. I was nervous about what it would be like to be in the small room with birthmom, trying to hold the baby but also be sensitive to her, but it was actually a really special and beautiful time. She said she really wanted us to enjoy our time with him and get used to feeding him and changing him, so we did, and she seemed to be doing really well! She held him and we all marveled at how cute he was. We watched the nurse give him his first bath and then we left the hospital around 10:30pm to sleep at a hotel. Birthmom took care of him all night which I think she really liked having that time with him.  

We got back to the hospital the next morning and to our surprise birthmom was up and walking around and doing so great! She said that her doctor had already seen her and said she could be discharged that afternoon, and the pediatrician said the baby was doing excellent and could also be discharged. And to our even greater surprise the social worker said she was coming with the papers in just a few hours. We spent a really nice morning and afternoon together, and then when the social workers got there we headed downstairs to wait. We didn't think she would change her mind, but it's crazy how much fear creeps in in these moments. When we saw the social worker get off the elevator with a smile on her face I burst into tears again and I felt an indescribable amount of relief. This was really going to happen. 
Birthmom left the hospital while we were signing the papers so she could avoid the difficult goodbyes. We knew this was a really difficult time and we were just so amazed by how brave and strong she was. After papers were signed, I waited for Wes to go get the car seat and I stood in the hospital lobby sending out our baby announcement on my phone with tears streaming down my face. I just remember walking back to the room to get him and the nurses were congratulating us and I couldn't stop crying again. We strapped him in and were escorted out. Putting him in our car and driving off with him was such a surreal feeling. It was a feeling of redemption like I couldn't believe. Years of pain and tears from infertility and feeling like we would never have a child to call ours, the strenuous adoption journey that led us here, all of it was over. All of the pain was gone. This was it. He was ours and we were his parents. We are so unbelievably in love with him. I still can't believe it. God is so good. This was better than any pregnancy or birth story or adoption story I could have dreamed up myself. 

Thank you all so much for being part of this journey with us, for all of your prayers, support, donations, companionship...everything. I couldn't have survived this without all of you. The prayers were felt, and I mean I REALLY felt them. So thank you all so much.     


  1. I cried reading this. I love you guys (all three of you) so much.

  2. Charlotte, I've been following your story and cheering you on (especially as a fellow LDW and endo sufferer!). I'm so excited for you two. Charlie is so beautiful. <3

  3. Congratulations! I've been following your blog and it's given me so much hope and inspiration!! :)

  4. Love hearing all about your first couple of days with Charlie! Thank you for sharing your story with us! I can't wait to see all three of you and meet your son!

  5. Well I went from tearing up to tears flowing <3 so beautiful. I'm so glad I found you in such a special part of your life! It's been so nice vicariously living through you! Gives me so much hope!!

  6. Congratulations!!! I've been following your story for so long, I feel like I know you all!!! Take care and post tons of pictures I love seeing them!!!!

  7. Congratulations. As an adopted child, now a grown woman, I am always touched by adoption stories and always think of the generosity of my birth mom to my parents 49 years ago. God bless all of you.

  8. Charlie rocks!!! Love the hair!!!

  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  11. I just got my pregnancy test result that am pregnant with the help of DR ODIA root and herbs, Glory to God almighty finally after 8 years of marriage with no child but with the help of DR ODIA Native natural herbal supplement i finally got pregnant last week i really want to say a very big thanks to you DR ODIA for your help and for other woman out there trying to get pregnant should not hesitate to contact him via email ( if you are having issues getting pregnant he will surely help you solve your problem.