May 2016 - Sent in our homestudy application.
June 2016 - Homestudy is in full swing. Started working on profile book.
July 2016 - signed with Christian Adoption Consultants.
August 2016 - Homestudy is complete! Officially a waiting family with four different agencies.
September 13, 2016 - WE ARE MATCHED!!! WOOHOO!!!!
October 2016 - Fly to Florida to meet the expectant mother.
November/December 2016 - Waited......and tried not to have anxiety attacks.
January 12, 2017 - Our son Charlie was born!!
Creating a Family Podcast https://creatingafamily.org/category/radio-show/
Infant Adoption Guide Podcast http://infantadoptionguide.com/infant-adoption-guide-podcast/
Fund Your Adoption with Jeremy Resmer http://fundyouradoption.tv/author/jeremyresmer1/ or Fund Your Adoption with Jeremy Resmer by Jeremy Resmer https://itun.es/us/50Cj4.c
1. The first and biggest reason is because we wanted to match quicker than the average 1-2 years.
2. The second biggest reason was because I felt like it was so difficult to find an agency that I could trust ethically because they can say anything they want to me and the expectant moms but really just be in it for the money. CAC has worked with the particular agencies/attorneys they are partenered with for years and they are particular about finding GOOD agencies/attorneys that are ethical and take good care of the birthmothers (which also in turn lowers the chance of a failed match).
3. We didn't want to be locked in with one agency, because if down the road we weren't happy with how things were going we wanted to have flexibility to go elsewhere without losing a huge amount of money.
4. CAC only works in states that have laws that limit the chance of a failed placement for the adoptive family. For instance in Florida there is no revocation period where the birth parents can change their mind after signing (vs Wisconsin where the birth parents can change their mind for 30 days after placement). Not all consultants work this way but CAC did and I found a lot of comfort in that.
5. My gut just kept leading me to CAC and I couldn't fight it. Our experience with CAC, particularly Susan VanSyckle was excellent. Communication was fast and easy and our questions were always answered really thoroughly. We ended up signing up with 4 agencies and were matched in 3 weeks with the second expectant mother to see our book.
I hope some of this info was helpful!! Like I said before, I'm not an expert but I am happy to share my own experience. Adoption is hard and it's time consuming and it's scary as heck, but it's SO WORTH IT. If you are thinking about adoption, don't let the process scare you. Just take one step at a time and don't give up!